There’s something so romantically fall about cardigan sweaters, cooler mornings and curling your fingers around a cup of hot chocolate. When swimsuits are replaced by corduroys, the sun lazily rises in the morning and the smell of fallen leaves fills the air.
Whatever makes fall one of your favorite seasons, we’re highlighting all the special things in the Indianapolis area perfect for fall family fun.
Indianapolis Fun Fall Activities to try all Fall Long
- Go apple picking.
- Run through a corn maze.
- Hit up an outdoor farmers market while you still can.
- Enjoy the colors of fall at one of these top 5 spots to witness fall foliage in Indiana. Farmers’ Almanac predicts peak fall foliage dates for 2020 are October 5-21 in northern Indiana and October 12-28 in southern Indiana.
- Explore a local nature center.
- Pack the family for a walk in downtown Indy.
- Pick your own pumpkin.
- Check out the trails at the Marian University EcoLab for a fall hike.
- Rake a big pile of leaves and jump in!
- Go see some southern Indiana waterfalls!
- Step into Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood at the Indiana State Museum’s. Make sure to reserve your time. Only 10 families are allowed in at a time to follow social distancing recommendations.
- Go on a hike and enjoy the fall colors. Here are some great hiking trails for kids.
- Schedule a camping trip. Here are our favorite spots within a 90 minute drive of Indianapolis.
- Spend a cool morning climbing the Conner Prairie Treetop Outpost.
- Test your wits at a local haunted house or scare park.
- Get in your final creek stomping at Cool Creek Park.
- Consider a family zipline trip.
- Buy a pumpkin spice latte.
- Explore a new-to-you children’s museum.
- Carve a pumpkin.
- Conner Prairie’s corn maze was is one of the top 10 in the US! Give it a visit.
- Host a socially distant family-friendly chili cookoff.
- Cheer on the Indianapolis Colts!
- Take the family to try their hand at archery at Koteewi Archery Range of Noblesville.
- Road trip and visit some caves.
- Plan a trip to your favorite park or playground before winter comes.
Can’t Miss Fall Events around Indianapolis
Harvest Nights at Newfields – October 2-25
The spooky (not scary) outdoor walking experience guides guests around twists and turns of the enchanted forest, an eerie ghost train and a grand finale at Mischief Manor at the Lilly House mansion.
ZooBoo at the Indianapolis Zoo – October 7 – November 1
Head to the Zoo for super-duper Halloween activities, amazing animals and pumpkins galore! ZooBoo is always a fun family experience for itty-bitty ghouls and goblins, as well as the bigger kids.
Monster MASKarade Mask Up at the Children’s Museum – Weekend in October
Every weekend in October 2020, the outdoor Riley Children’s Health Sports Legends Experience® is the place for families and children to experience the tricks and treats of Halloween in a safe, socially distanced way.
Headless Horseman at Conner Prairie – October 1-4, 8-11, 15-18, 22-25, 29-30
This fall festival is full of activities, shows and spooktacular family fun. Take an adventure on Conner Prairie’s haunted hayride where you’ll get chased down by the Headless Horseman!
Beasley’s Orchard Fall Festival – September 18 – October 31
Celebrate the 2020 fall harvest with family-fun ag-tivities! Our festival weekends feature the following: 8-acre corn maze, Hayrides to the pumpkin patch, Pick your own Pumpkins, Apple Cannons, Barnyard Bonanza Activity Area, Straw Mountain, Food Vendors. Music & Entertainment, And More!