There’s something so romantically fall about cardigan sweaters, cooler mornings and curling your fingers around a cup of hot chocolate. When swimsuits are replaced by corduroys, the sun lazily rises in the morning and the smell of fallen leaves fills the air.
Whatever makes fall one of your favorite seasons, we’re highlighting 50 special things in the Indianapolis area perfect for fall family fun.
Here are 50 fall bucket list ideas!
- Go apple picking.
- Visit the Children’s Museum for only $5 the first Thursday of the month. Oct 3, Nov 7, Dec 5
- Run through a corn maze.
- Hit up an outdoor farmers market while you still can.
- Explore a local nature center.
- Pack the family for a walk in downtown Indy.
- Pick your own pumpkin.
- Check out the trails at the Marian University EcoLab for a fall hike.
- See what’s on stage at Beef and Boards.
- Visit the Butler High Ropes Course before it closes for the season.
- Rake a big pile of leaves and jump in!
- Investigate the reimagined ScienceWorks exhibit at the Children’s Museum.
- Go see some southern Indiana waterfalls!
- Start planning your fall break from school.
- Show off your maze-master skills at the Indiana State Museum’s newest experience, A•MAZE•D.
- Go on a hike and enjoy the fall colors. Try Fort Harrison State Park – it’s one of our faves!
- Schedule a camping trip. Here are our favorite spots within a 90 minute drive of Indianapolis.
- Test your wits at a local haunted house or scare park.
- Eat many, many caramel-topped goodies from the Conner Prairie Apple Store.
- Get in your final creek stomping at Cool Creek Park.
- Rake leaves for an elderly relative or neighbor.
- Find somewhere to volunteer as a family.
- Consider a family zipline trip.
- Buy a pumpkin spice latte. Repeat.
- Or, make a cup of hot chocolate on cool mornings.
- Head to any (or all!) of these 10 fall events in Indy.
- Explore a new-to-you children’s museum.
- Carve a pumpkin.
- Enjoy these under-the-radar fall festivals.
- Conner Prairie’s corn maze was just named one of the top 10 in the US! Give it a visit.
- Host a family-friendly chili cookoff.
- Spend a cool morning climbing the Conner Prairie Treetop Outpost.
- Have some friends to watch some Sunday football.
- Or head to a Colts game!
- Take the family to try their hand at archery at Koteewi Archery Range of Noblesville.
- Road trip and visit some caves.
- Hop in the Biggest Bounce House in the World, visiting Waterman’s Family Farm. September 20-22 & 27-29
- Check out the Conner Prairie Festival of Machines. September 14-15
- Celebrate the Smithsonian Magazine Museum Day Live with free admission at select museums around the state. September 21
- Travel back in time at the Indiana Renaissance Faire. October 5-6
- Get spooked at the Children’s Museum Haunted House. Repeat. Repeat again. October 11-31
- Do the Original and Fabulous GermanFest at the Athenaeum. October 12
- Don your costume for the Fishers Parks Boo Bash. October 26
- Resolve to finally hit the Historic Irvington Fall Festival. October 19-26
- Dress up your pups and bring them to Broad Ripple Park for the Halloween dog egg hunt. October 31
- Plan ahead for the Dia de los Muertos festivities at the Eiteljorg. October 26
- Run or cheer on runners in the Indianapolis Monumental Marathon. November 9
- Head to the Carmel Christkindlmarkt through December 24! November 16
- Families up North can kick off the holiday season at Carmel’s Holiday on the Square. November 23
- After you enjoy your Thanksgiving feast, kick off the holiday season at the Circle of Lights Tree Lighting. November 29