All aboard to visit Santa at the North Pole! The Sullivan Express train ride has been a family favorite for years. Here is what you need to know about this Indianapolis holiday tradition!
Related Article: 7 Best Holiday Train Rides in Indiana
What to Expect
Santa Express takes place at Sullivan Hardware & Garden’s 71st & Keystone store in Indianapolis. Check in is at Central Station, which is located in the greenhouse. While you wait for your train to depart, you can visit the kids’ play area, or grab a holiday snack or beverage from the cafe.
When the train arrives, your family will be seated together in one car. The short train ride (about 10 minutes) is open-air, so dress for the weather!
As your train makes its way to the North Pole, you’ll travel through holiday scenes with animatronic bears and other animals. You’ll also travel through lighted tunnels, past the Sullivan Christmas tree lot and past lots of other holiday fun.
Once you arrive at the North Pole, your kids can play in Santa’s workshop with individually wrapped crafts, as your family takes turns visiting with Santa Claus himself. To keep your family and Santa safe, visits with Santa will be no-contact. To take a picture with Santa, your family can sit on Santa’s work bench while he smiles behind you. Afterward, you will catch the next train back to Central Station.
Things to Know About Santa Express
- Each Santa Express ticket purchase is for one family. Typically, a family of four to six people can fit in one train car.
- If not everyone wants to ride the train, or you can’t fit your whole party in one train, the rest of your party can join you at the North Pole by meeting you there on foot.
- Just want to ride the train? Don’t want to visit the North Pole or see Santa? Open ride times are available with no reservation needed. Tickets for open rides are $5 per person or $20 per family. Open rides run from 12-3 p.m. on select dates. Check the website for specific dates and times.
- Bring your camera! Photos with Santa are DIY.
- Once you leave the station, your trip will last approximately 25 minutes.
- Disability accommodations are available. Contact Sullivan’s Hardware to learn more.
- Don’t have a kid with you? Adult-only events are available! Beer and wine are also available at Sully’s Grill during Sullivan Express Santa hours.
For more information about Sullivan Express or to purchase tickets, visit the website.