So, you’re busy. Kids. Jobs. Housework. Responsibilities. A tight budget.
I get it. And, that’s no excuse.
Speaking friend to friend here, please do yourself a favor. Start stashing away a little getaway fund, and get down to French Lick Resort. It’s 100% worth the splurge.
I was so blown away the first time I visited the historic Southern Indiana resort that I was furious at myself for not having discovered it sooner. Now, after returning from another idyllic getaway there, I feel like it’s my duty to demand that others give themselves this magical experience.
The West Baden Springs Hotel, dubbed the eighth wonder of the world when it was built in 1901, makes your jaw drop. It was the largest free-span dome structure in the world at that time, modeled after the grandest spas of Europe. A $500 million dollar restoration brought this National Historic Landmark back to its luxurious, opulent splendor when it reopened in 2007.
I could literally lie on the velvet chairs and stare up at the dome all day.
Except that the beds are also insanely inviting and comfortable that I’d find my room calling my name eventually, along with the relaxing swimming pools, extraordinary gardens and hiking/biking trails through the breathtaking hills of the Hoosier National Forest.
The resort also includes the gorgeous French Lick Hotel and casino about a mile away from West Baden Springs, with trolley service running constantly between the properties. I always seem to stumble upon live music, whether it’s in the hotel lobbies, on the enormous wrap-around porches, or in the restaurants (including the Power Plant at the French Lick Hotel – a favorite spot!)
I’m not a golfer, but I like to drop by the resort’s two jaw-dropping golf courses just to gawk at the natural beauty of the rolling hills: the Donald Ross course (which has a great clubhouse restaurant) and the Pete Dye course, which has played host to the LPGA Legends tournament – a great event benefiting my employer, Riley Children’s Foundation, and the amazing kids we serve at Riley Hospital. Just look at this. I mean, REALLY…
Here are a few fun challenges I propose you add to your itinerary WHEN you visit French Lick Resort:
- Count the number of times you say, “I can’t believe this is in Indiana.”
- Sip your favorite beverage while rocking in the giant chairs on the front porch of either hotel and TRY to feel stressed. (It’s not possible.)
- Read at least a few pages of great literature while sitting in the West Baden Springs library
- Pack up a picnic basket (wine included) and a big blanket and find some shade under a tree outside near the West Baden gardens. Play some good tunes. Wait for the magic. (Some say this is the most romantic place in Indiana. I tend to agree.)
- Wear your most glamorous swimsuit (and lipstick) to the pool, and lounge like a movie star.
- Dress up at night and visit the restaurants and/or casino. Turn off your phone, except to take pictures.
- On your way back from a late-night visit to the other end of the resort with your date, make sure to sit in the back of the trolley.
I sincerely hope that French Lick Resort ends up in your weekend getaway plans. Please, indulge. Escape from busy, crazy 2017. Immerse yourself in 1901-style opulent luxury.
Feel the tension replaced by relaxed sighs and smiles.
You deserve this.
To learn more about French Lick Resort including upcoming special events, rates and packages, visit FrenchLick.com.