Not everyone wants to leave the state for spring break, so we’ve got you covered!
Downtown Indy is your staycation destination with fun events and activities for all ages.
Go on an adventure at White River State Park
When working up your list of day-time things to do, White River State Park’s attractions are a must.
- The xZooberance Spring Festival at the Indianapolis Zoo will offer music, dancing, art, nature and much more. The event runs from 10:00am – 4:00pm, Thursdays through Sundays, March 26 – April 12. Enjoy vibrant landscapes, entertainment, the Zoo’s new dolphin presentation and the return of the Butterfly Kaleidoscope exhibit (March 20).
- Explore the newest exhibit opening at the Indiana State Museum March 28: Cause and Æffect. For the 100th anniversary of women’s suffrage, see the art that was born out of women’s activism. Plus, check out Rube Goldberg™: The World of Hilarious Invention! Exhibit, where you can create crazy chain-reaction contraptions.
- Take a virtual vacation at the IMAX Theatre with a larger-than-life escape, putting you in the middle of the action on Indiana’s largest movie screen. See Onward, the story about two teenage elf brothers who go on a quest to find any magic left in the world.
- The Eiteljorg Museum is celebrating the 100th anniversary of women’s suffrage with events and exhibits revolving around the stories of women. The iconic museum has new family-friendly Western galleries that recently opened and a new special exhibit, Quilts: Uncovering Women’s Stories, opening March 7.
- Enjoy two floors of interactive exhibits at the NCAA Hall of Champions. Shoot hoops in a 1930s replica gymnasium, kick a soccer goal in a sports simulator, play a game of trivia on one or all of the 24 NCAA sports kiosks and more. During the months of March and April, complete a scavenger hunt and win a prize.
- Go for a bike or pedal boat ride with Wheel Fun Rentals opening March 21 and choose from several options including a Quad Sport, Chopper, Deuce Coupe, Surrey, City Bicycle and more.
Make it a staycation and spend the night Downtown at one of many hotels.
Visit Downtown Indy’s museums and attractions
Zip down the Chocolate Slide March 7 – April 11 at The Children’s Museum. Get ready for the re-opening of the Riley Children’s Health Sports Legends Experience March 14. The combination of sports history, physical fitness and health education in a variety of family-fun, outdoor and indoor experiences make this exhibit a fan favorite. Explore the science of severe weather at the Wild Weather Exhibit, also opening March 14.
The Indiana Historical Society invites you to visit You Are There 1915: Madam C.J. Walker, Empowering Women for Women’s History Month. Experience the recreation of Madam Walker’s factory and listen to the stories of those that will detail her life, work and legacy.
Check out FREE activities taking place at Central Library:
- March 15, 22, 29 & April 5 at 1:00pm: Robots After Noon
- March 17 at 7:00pm: Celtic Motion Irish Dancing
- March 17, 24 & 31 at 4:00pm: Teen Tuesday
- March 20, 27 & April 3 at 11:00am: Little Learners Storytime
- March 30 at 11:00am: Slime Class for Kids
- April 2 at 11:00am: FrogTime StoryTime
Check out your favorite artists in town for spring break including Billie Eilish Where Do We Go? World Tour on March 25,
The Big Ten Men’s Basketball Tournament will take place at Bankers Life Fieldhouse March 11 – 15. Celebrate the tournament finals with a fitness circuit on Monument Circle, Saturday morning March 14. The Big Ten Circuit on the Circle will include a 45-minute workout, giveaway items and a chance to win two tickets to the semifinal games.
Indiana Sports Corp and IUPUI will be hosting the NCAA Division I Men’s Swimming and Diving Championships at the IU Natatorium. Watch the best swimmers and divers in the nation compete for the gold March 25 – 28.
The real March Madness doesn’t hit Indianapolis until March 26 & 28. The Road to the Final Four stops at Lucas Oil Stadium for the Midwest Regional of the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Tournament.
Gear up for the 500 Festival 10-Miler taking place April 4.
Just for fun
Head to Newfields for incredible displays and exhibits this spring break. Smell the fragrance of half a million blooming flowers in the Garden. Enjoy a handcrafted pie and an old-fashioned milkshake at the Pop Up: Pie Shop. Stop by the Infinitely Kusama exhibit before it closes March 29.
About Downtown Indy, Inc.
Founded in 1993, Downtown Indy, Inc., a public/private partnership existing to improve Downtown is also known as Indianapolis Downtown, Inc. As a private, not-for-profit organization, Downtown Indy, Inc. is uniquely positioned to address issues that affect the area’s growth and well-being. Downtown Indy, Inc. focuses on development, management, activation and marketing to advance Downtown as a great place to live, learn, work and play.