What is Pickleball?
According to the USA Pickleball Association, pickleball is:
- A fun sport that combines many elements of tennis, badminton and ping-pong.
- Played both indoors or outdoors on a badminton-sized court and a slightly modified tennis net.
- Played with a paddle and a plastic ball with holes.
- Played as doubles or singles.
- Can be enjoyed by all ages and skill levels.
What Equipment Do You Need for Pickleball?
- Pickleball paddle. These are smaller than tennis racquets but larger than ping-pong paddles. Pickleball paddles are lightweight and can be made out of materials such as wood, aluminum or graphite.
- Pickleball ball. The ball comes in multiple colors, it’s lightweight, and it has holes in it, similar to a wiffle ball. There are different ball models, depending on whether you will be playing pickleball indoors or outdoors. In order to meet official pickleball specification, pickleball balls must be a solid color, according to the International Federation of Pickleball (IFP).
- Pickleball court and net. Most people don’t have the desire, means or space to create a pickleball court in their backyard. So if you want to play, you’ll have to find a pickleball court! And it’s not enough to play on a tennis court, either. Although pickleball courts look similar to tennis courts, pickleball courts are smaller: 20 feet wide and 44 feet long, compared to tennis courts, which are 60 feet wide and 120 feet long.
Where to Find Pickleball Courts Around Indianapolis:
4050 S. 875 E., Zionsville
The two basketball courts at this park are lined for pickleball. Because the new pickleball court at Heritage Trail Park is also a dual-purpose basketball court, players visiting this location will need to bring their own net.
11053 Sycamore St., Zionsville
The two tennis courts at this Zionsville park are lined for pickleball.
4286 S. Main St., Whitestown
This neighborhood park has one pickleball court that’s open to the public.
450 Meadow Ln., Carmel
The newly remodeled downtown Carmel park has 4 pickleball courts.