Celebrate the music, crafts and colors of Latin American culture when The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis hosts Fiesta de la Familia on Sunday, September 26, 2021 from 10 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
Admission is FREE as the museum honors National Hispanic Heritage Month.
Activities highlighting folk art from different Latin American countries are available 10 a.m.–3 p.m. Learn about a country, observe a demonstration and take home an activity kit to make art at home!
- Mexican Paper Flower Fiesta
Celebrate by folding your own traditional paper flower.
- Guatemalan Worry Dolls
Create your own worry doll. According to folklore, it will remove worries when placed under a pillow.
- Panamanian Molas
Learn about the Kuna people on the San Blas Islands and their colorful textile folk art. Then design your own.
- Live music: Zelaya Mariachi Band will play traditional music, Pavel and Direct Contact will play Latin jazz.
Don’t miss special bilingual opportunities in the Riley Children’s Health Sports Legends Experience from noon-3 p.m.
- USA Track and Field presents its RunJumpThrow program to get kids and families professionals, including a certified USATF Level 2 coach, how to develop their skills in a variety of areas including agility, track fundamentals, throwing, relay races and hurdles.
- The Positive Coaching Alliance brings to the museum its Second-Goal Parent® coaching workshops in English and Spanish. During these workshops, parents are encouraged to learn to let coaches and athletes worry about the final game score while parents focus on teaching positive life lessons their children will take away from sports.
Free Flu Shots
Riley Children’s Health medical professionals will be on hand to administer flu vaccinations to individuals ages 6 months and up who confirm they do not have any signs of illness or other medical conditions. Adults will be required to sign vaccine consent forms for anyone under 18 years of age. Everyone is encouraged to consult with their personal physician before receiving vaccinations. Shots will be administered from 11 a.m.-3 p.m. while supplies last.
- Reservations are required for this free event. The museum is required to maintain a limited capacity of guests during COVID-19 and the museum does expect this event to sell out. Please visit https://www.childrensmuseum.org/visit/buy-tickets to reserve free tickets for all visitors or call 317-334-4000.
- Face masks that cover the nose and mouth are required indoors for all visitors ages 2 and older, regardless of vaccination status. Masks are not required in the outdoor areas of the Riley Children’s Health Sports Legends Experience. Visitors who do not comply will be asked to leave.
Fiesta de la Familia is presented by Corteva Agriscience. The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis is proud to partner with Riley Children’s at Indiana University Health, Old National Bank and Ice Miller LLP.
About The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis
The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis is a nonprofit institution committed to creating extraordinary learning experiences across the arts, sciences, and humanities that have the power to transform the lives of children and families. For more information about The Children’s Museum, visit www.childrensmuseum.org, follow us on Twitter @TCMIndy, [email protected], YouTube.com/IndyTCM, and Facebook.