Saddle up for a journey to the American West right here in Indianapolis at WestFest, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.,Saturday, July 23, at the Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art.
Visitors can expect to be immersed in the West, from the aroma and tastes of chuck wagon food to the sound of strumming guitars; from panning for gold to taking a ride on an authentic Wells Fargo stagecoach. This is a fun-filled event for all ages.
The featured entertainment this year is “The Farmer and Adele,” a country western cowboy and cowgirl swing band. The group includes Grace Adele and her musical partner Keenan Wade, both on guitar, Chris Bauer on steel guitar and dobro and Jimmy Sullivan on upright bass. Audiences will be captivated by A.J. Silver’s thrilling trick roping, working blacksmiths, a buffalo hunter, animals and great stories from Hopalong Cassidy.
Interactive activities include:
- Authentic chuckwagon grub
- Gold panning
- Hands-on art activities and games for all ages
- Rides on the Wells Fargo stagecoach
- An action-packed stick-horse rodeo, including cow milking, barrel racing, bucking broncos and more
- A chance to ride Cameo the horse and talk to cowboy, Paul Ross
- Pet an oxen and learn about western animals
- Test your knowledge about western myths and legends
- The Eiteljorg’s popular special exhibit, The Grand Canyon; explore the people, history and culture of this extraordinary natural wonder; become a junior ranger; share your favorite Grand Canyon story; plus snap a photo in the gallery and share on social media using #EJGrandCanyon.
WestFest is presented by the Sunrise Foundation with additional support provided by The Margot L. and Robert S. Eccles Fund, a fund of the Central Indiana Community Foundation.
Admission to WestFest is included with museum general admission. Wear western duds and get $1 off admission.
About the Eiteljorg
The Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art seeks to inspire an appreciation and understanding of the art, history and cultures of the American West and the indigenous peoples of North America. The Eiteljorg is located in Downtown Indianapolis’ White River State Park, at 500 West Washington, Indianapolis, IN 46204. For general information about the museum and to learn more about exhibits and events, call 317.636.WEST (9378) or visit www.eiteljorg.org.