Every year, we go to the Indiana State fair and one of my daughter’s favorite food to leave the fair with is a corn dog. This year, we did not go to the fair, so we brought the fair to us. We had tons of fun making corn dogs, but the best part of eating them.
Fair Corn Dog Ingredients:
8 ct. 15 oz Oscar Meyer Jumbo Hotdogs (for this recipe we used smoked brats and cajun sausages, I did cook them in the oven for 15mins before dipping them in the batter)
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon onion powder
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- 16 wooden skewers
Fair Corn Dog Directions:
- In a medium bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper, sugar and baking powder. Stir in eggs and milk.
- Preheat oil in a deep saucepan over medium heat. Insert wooden skewers into hotdogs. Make sure hotdogs are completely dry to help with batter sticking. Roll hotdogs in batter until well coated.
- Fry 2 or 3 corn dogs at a time until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
About the Author
Atieno Boyd is an Indianapolis social worker, mother of 2, and wife who enjoys cooking and crafting. You can often find her trying out new recipes or creating her own. Some of her favorite moments are cooking with her daughter with her husband serving as taste tester.