Chinese New Year is a traditional Chinese holiday celebrated on the first day of the year of the Chinese lunisolar calendar. Ancient legend says Buddha named every year in the calendar after 12 animals, and that the people born in each animal’s year would have some of the animal’s personality. 2018 is the year of the dog-loyal, faithful and unselfish.
Celebrate the Year of the Dog with us by participating in these activities:
- Indianapolis Chinese Community Center performances-Take part in the excitement and pageantry of traditional Chinese Dragon and Lion dances, Chinese folk dancers, and choir.
- Year of the Dog-Build your own dog shadow puppet and learn about your Chinese zodiac animal.
- Chinese New Year Red Envelopes-Create a red envelope for the Chinese New Year tradition of gift giving.
- Chinese Name Calligraphy-Have your name written in Mandarin by a Chinese calligraphy master.
- Tai Chi Martial Arts-Practice the purposeful movements of Tai Chi martial arts and explore its connections with Daoism.
- Chinese Shadow Puppet Show-Step into modern China and participate in a one-of-a-kind immersive experience. Discover the richness of Chinese culture as you and your family play a part in a traditional shadow puppet show.
And back by popular demand, the Willy Wonka-inspired Chocolate Slide is open January 27-April 29, 2018.
There are gumdrops and lollipops…the museum’s Sunburst Atrium is decorated like a twirly-swirly candy land, and children and their grown-ups can zoom down a slide that looks like a river of chocolate. Afterward, top off the fun with sweet treats and tasty eats from the Chocolate Café! The Chocolate slide is presented by Weber Group and supported by Marathon Petroleum.
About The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis
The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis is a nonprofit institution committed to creating extraordinary learning experiences across the arts, sciences, and humanities that have the power to transform the lives of children and families. For more information about The Children’s Museum, visitwww.childrensmuseum.org, follow us on Twitter @TCMIndy, [email protected], YouTube.com/IndyTCM, and Facebook.