The Children’s Museum joins organizations around the world in celebration of the 51st anniversary of Earth Day. Children and families can participate in special hands-on activities and visit a Sustainability Showcase of local organizations promoting their environmental work and responses to climate change.
Visitors can look forward to fun giveaways from Earth Day presenting sponsor Corteva Agriscience, as well as the following activites:
- Meet artist Dr. Jarrod Nicholas Dortch of Solful Gardens, LLC, and learn about his mission to make fresh, natural and healthy produce available to all. Create your own piece of art.
- Build your own nature journal with Holliday Park Nature Center staff.
- Create a seed ball with Friends of Ft. Harrison State Park using local wildflower seed to plant at home. Learn about the importance of native plants.
- Challenge each other in a carbon footprint sorting game with Earth Charter Indiana. See the greenhouse effect in a jar.
- Explore the geologic origin of everyday items with IUPUI Earth Sciences, and match volcanic rocks to their origin.
- Learn from local arborists with hands-on activities by Keep Indianapolis Beautiful.
- Take a pledge with the City of Indianapolis, Office of Sustainability, to be part of the solution from Thrive Indianapolis, and learn how you can take action to create a sustainable future.
- Make your own origami seed envelope with Flanner House, and take home seeds to plant at home.
Continue learning more about Earth Day and how you can help planet Earth by visiting www.childrensmuseum.org/museumathome.