Halloween is a time to have fun and be creative, and it’s an especially fun time to be creative with your food! When the mood strikes you for something sweet this season, try one of these spook-tacular Halloween treat recipes, courtesy of Weelicious.
Pumpkin Pie Pop Tarts
1/2 cup pumpkin puree
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 pre-made pie dough
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silpat mat.
2. In a small bowl, combine the pumpkin puree, brown sugar and pumpkin pie spice.
3. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pie dough to 1/4-inch thick. Use a pumpkin cookie cutter to cut out about 20 pumpkin shapes. Use a paring knife to cut-out pumpkin faces in half of the pumpkin shapes.
4. Place one pumpkin (without any cut-outs) on a floured surface and place a heaping teaspoon of filling in the center. Use a spoon to spread the filling almost to the edges. Lightly dip your finger into water and rub the edge of the pumpkin dough shape with the water. Top with a cut-out pumpkin and lightly press the edges together to seal. Repeat with the remaining shapes and filling.
5. Place the tarts on your prepared baking sheet. Bake for 18 minutes, or until golden brown. Makes 10 pop tarts.
2 english muffins, cut in half
8 teaspoons pizza sauce
2 mozzarella cheese sticks
3 green olives with pimentos
1. Preheat oven to 400℉.
2. Place the English muffin halves on a baking sheet and bake for 5 minutes.
3. Remove muffins from oven and spread 2 teaspoons of the pizza sauce onto each English muffin half.
4. Peel the mozzarella sticks into strings and decoratively arrange them on top of each English muffin. Slice the green olives into 1/4 inch thick rings and place them on top of the cheese to create eyes.*
5. Bake mummies for 3 more minutes, or until the cheese is melted. Serves 2.
8 veggie, turkey or beef dogs
1 pre-made pie dough
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Line a cookie sheet with foil and lightly grease with cooking spray.
3. Cut the pizza dough into 8 even strips using a pizza cutter or knife.
4. Stretch each piece of the pizza dough until it’s about 4 times the length of the hot dog.
5. Starting at the top, wrap the pizza dough around the hot dog until it’s completely covered allowing a small space for the face.
6. Place the wrapped hot dogs on the cookie sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
7. When the hot dogs are cool, dot the ketchup and/or mustard with a toothpick for the eyes. Serves 8.
Chocolate Tofu Pudding Pots
1 14 ounce package soft silken tofu
1/3 Cup pure cocoa powder
1/3 Cup agave nectar
1 Tbsp vanilla extract
24 Chocolate Wafers
4 Small Clay Flower Pots
1. Place the first 4 ingredients in a food processor and blend to combine.
2. Scrape down the sides of the food processor and blend again to make sure everything is incorporated.
3. Place 4 whole chocolate wafers in the bottom of the clay pots so none of the pudding goes through the hole at the bottom of the pots.
4. Divide the chocolate tofu pudding between the 4 pots.
5. Place the remaining 20 wafers in a plastic bag and using a rolling pin, crush into small pieces resembling dirt.
6. Sprinkle the crushed wafers on top of the pots and place the gummy worms in the pots. Serves 4.
Deviled Egg Spiders
6 hard boiled eggs
1 teaspoon dijon mustard
1/4 cup mayonnaise (or vegan mayonnaise)
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
15-20 whole pitted olives (black, green, or kalamata)
1. Slice the eggs in half lengthwise. Remove the yolks and place in a mixing bowl. Add the mustard, mayonnaise, and salt to the yolks and mash together with a fork.
2.Using a piping bag or sandwich bag with the bottom tip cut off, pipe the egg yolk mixture back into the center of the egg white. (You can also just spoon the egg yolk mixture back into the egg white)
3. Slice 12 olives in half lengthwise. Place one half, cut side down, on top of each deviled egg.
4. Slice the remaining olives in half again lengthwise and then into 4 slices to make the legs.
5. Place 3-4 legs on each side of the olive halves on top of the deviled eggs. Makes 12 spiders.