Sending your child to camp can bring up a multitude of questions.
Whether you’re just beginning your search or narrowing down your options, here are some questions to ask the camp director before signing up your happy camper for summer fun this season.
For day and overnight camps:
- What makes your camp unique?
- What is your daily schedule like?
- What is the camp director’s experience?
- What do you want campers to get from the program?
- How do you train and hire your staff?
- How old are the counselors and how are they chosen?
- What is the ratio of campers to counselors?
- How does the camp handle conflicts between campers?
- What accommodations are made for children with special needs?
For overnight camps:
- How are children oriented to camp?
- How do you handle homesickness?
- Is transportation available to and from camp?
- What are the meals like at camp?
- How is laundry handled?
- How does the camp handle medical emergencies? Where is the nearest medical facility?
- How do parents keep in touch with their children?
- When can parents visit?
- Can families send care packages to camp?
- What percentage of campers return every year?
- What extra charges can we expect?