If you and your family like the thrill of speed, this winter day trip is for you. The toboggan run, located in Pokagon State Park, is a 1,780-foot long and 90-foot tall refrigerated twin track that is fun for the whole family. Pokagon State Park’s toboggan run is one of the nation’s fastest and tallest. The fastest speed recorded on the park’s toboggan run was 42 mph.
Related Article: Skiing and Snow Tubing Destinations Near Indianapolis
The Toboggan run begins with a 30-foot climb to the tower’s top. Once you’ve climbed aboard your sled, you will enjoy 20 to 30 exhilarating seconds of sliding down a 90-foot vertical drop. Toboggan rentals are 1-hour long, so your group will have time for several rides. In addition, the toboggan run is on a refrigerated track, so there is no need for snow!
When is the Pokagon State Park’s Toboggan Run Open?
Standard Hours: The toboggan at Pokagon State Park is open for weekend rides from 10 am. to 5:30 pm from November 24, 2023, to February 25, 2024.
Additional Holiday Hours:
Winter Break (December 23, 2023, to January 7, 2024): Open every day 10 am – 5:30 pm * Closed Christmas Day
Martin Luther King Jr. Day (Monday, January 15, 2024): Open 10 am –5:30 pm
Presidents’ Day (Monday, February 28, 2024): Open 10 am – 5:30 pm
How much does the Toboggan Run cost?
Pokagon State Park’s Toboggan rentals cost $20 per hour and can accommodate up to four people. In addition, you’ll need to pay regular park entry fees ($7 per Indiana car and $9 per out-of-state car). Sleds are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Related Article: 50 Things To Do This Winter in Indianapolis
- Gloves must be worn to ride the toboggan.
- Refrigerated track (snow is not needed to operate).
- Toboggan will close if the air temperature drops to 0 degrees F or below at the track.
- Warming Center restrooms are open, and concessions are available. No indoor gathering space is available.
- No carry-in food to the Warming Center. Carry-in items are allowed in the area outside the rental room. Picnic tables are available on a first-come, first-served basis. Tailgating is permitted in the lower toboggan parking lot only.
- Maximum 4 people per toboggan (no exceptions).
- You must use parks toboggans.
- Children must be able to understand and follow the rules.
- No cameras/video equipment on the ride.
Cross-country ski and snowshoe rental
When available, rentals are available at the Warming Center, including skis, boots, and poles. Snowshoes are also available. Hours are the same as for tobogganing.
- Skis: $5 an hour for youth 15 years and younger, $8 an hour for adults.
- Snowshoes: $10 an hour.
More information about Pokagon State Park’s Toboggan Run:
Pokagon State Park is an Indiana state park in the northeastern part of the state, near the village of Fremont and 5 miles north of Angola. Call (260) 833-2012 for more information.