My family LOVES St. Patrick’s Day — three of us are gingers, so we have to love it. I told my redheads that somewhere in our family lineage is a leprechaun, so they have a little bit of magic in them.
We like to indulge in green treats this month. It’s our family heritage after all.
Lately, I’ve been trying really hard to make meals at home and to include veggies and fruit in all of their meals. But I have never made them a green smoothie. I thought if they saw me put spinach in a blender, it would be over.
Well, I underestimated them, and I found our new favorite treat: A Shamrock Smoothie! It’s really just a clever way of selling kids a very healthy smoothie with spinach in it. And it works!
Here is what you need to get your children to eat their spinach:
- A blender
- 2 bananas (if they are frozen, then the smoothie will be extra cold and delicious)
- 1 cup of fresh pineapple (canned could probably work, too)
- 1 cup of baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup of vanilla and honey flavored Greek yogurt
- 1 cup of water (more or less depending on the consistency that you prefer)
- 1 cup of crushed ice (more or less depending on the consistency that you prefer)
It made four scrumptious servings.
I told my boys that I saw their muscles growing as they slurped. Which just made them slurp even faster!
Cheers to a healthy and yummy St. Patty’s Day!