The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis is taking the ball and running with it! Kickoff is Saturday, September 7, 2019 for First & Goal — a new, highly interactive exhibit that celebrates one of America’s favorite sports, football!
The Indianapolis Colts will be prominently featured along with Indiana college and high school teams, youth football leagues, fans and more. Children and families will experience the frenzy and fandemonium of football while also learning secrets about the history of the game, the rules, equipment and training. It’s all part of Riley Children’s Health Sports Legends Experience®.
Get in on the game through the following interactives:
- Virtual Field Goal – Step up to the tee and kick the ball through virtual uprights with easy, medium and hard distance options.
- 10-Yard-Dash – Visitors run at their top speeds and compare times with featured Colts players.
- Combine Drill – Colts tight end and Indianapolis native Jack Doyle virtually coaches visitors through drills similar to those run at the NFL Combine.
- Touchdown Dance – Children and families perform their best touchdown dance in the end zone with the Colts mascot Blue making an appearance. Email the video home.
- Be the Ref! – See hand signals made by NFL referees then take the quiz to see if you’re up to the job!
- Football Super Fan Virtual Face Painting – Fans take their own face photo, decorate it with drag-and-drop face paint in favorite team colors then mail it home.
- Play dress-up in football and cheerleading gear.
Memorabilia will include:
- 2006 Colts Super Bowl XLI championship ring made of 14 K white gold and 57 diamonds.
- Colts Super Bowl XLI Vince Lombardi Trophy replica
- Game-used football from Super Bowl XLI.
- Helmet worn by quarterback Peyton Manning for his last game as a Colt-January 8, 2011.
- Football equipment showing changes and improvements through the years.
“Football games provide family fun and are a great source of community pride,” said Dr. Jeffrey H. Patchen, president and CEO, The Children’s Museum. “We are partnering with the Indianapolis Colts to help families celebrate the excitement of being a fan, what it’s like to play the game and how sports teach life-long lessons of teamwork, setting goals, and perseverance along with health and fitness.”
First & Goal is located within the indoor area of Riley Children’s Health Sports Legends Experience at The Children’s Museum. It was created to get families fit and active together while having fun.
“Every day, the Colts strive to entertain, inspire and unite our fans, and we can think of no better partner to help advance this mission than the world’s biggest and best children’s museum,” said Kalen (Irsay) Jackson, Colts vice-chair/owner and a museum member. “We’re excited that children and families from across Indiana – and from around the country and the world – will have the chance to experience Colts football and learn about the great athletes and sports traditions Hoosiers have produced over the past century.”
First & Goal is supported by Indiana Soybean Glass Barn, MJ Insurance and Subway.
The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis Board of Directors would also like to thank our official partners—Riley Children’s at Indiana University Health, Old National Bank and Ice Miller LLP.
About The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis
The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis is a nonprofit institution committed to creating extraordinary learning experiences across the arts, sciences, and humanities that have the power to transform the lives of children and families. For more information about The Children’s Museum, visit www.childrensmuseum.org, follow us on Twitter @TCMIndy, [email protected], YouTube.com/IndyTCM, and Facebook.