Traditionally, the arrival of fall brings anticipated excitement surrounding pumpkin patch visits, crisp temperatures and ending the day with s’mores. As we continue navigating a unique year, let the American Dairy Association Indiana be your go-to resource for added fall fun—go on a virtual dairy farm tour, watch entertaining educational videos and discover delicious recipes that will gather the family together.
Visit a Dairy Farm from Home
In Indiana, we have a strong agricultural history with many family farms closer than you realize. Our state alone has almost 800 dairy farms with 97% of them being family owned. And yet, it’s becoming more common for kids not to know where their food originates.
Taking a visit to a farm has become easier with Virtual Farm Tours! Within a couple minutes, schools and families can ask the featured farmer questions and see how much goes into making nutritious food for the community. Find more details and watch past tours, like a recent visit with Colts Pro Bowler and Fuel Up to Play 60 Player Ambassador, Quenton Nelson, at WinnersDrinkMilk.com under “Farm Life,” then “Virtual Farm Tours.” See for yourself how innovative farming looks different today. In addition to farmer efforts, technology now plays a big role to support cow comfort, track efficiency and be more sustainable. With most milk arriving at a grocery store from less than 100 miles away, and within 48 hours, dairy is considered one of the freshest, local foods you can enjoy.
Join a Virtual Farm Tour LIVE
Friday, Oct. 9 · Friday, Nov. 13
Schools and families will enjoy this chance to see a family farm, ask questions and see what
goes into getting fresh milk to you! Sign-up in advance and watch past tours here.
Fall is a great time of year to get out and play or try a new activity. The “Family Resourses” page on WinnersDrinkMilk.com has fun options for all ages. Make one of several crafts, learn simple outdoor games, lookup recipes to make with kids and watch where your milk comes from in the “Milk from Cow to You” video series. There’s even a section for adults!
Ice Cream in a Bag
Ice cream is always a treat, any time of the year, and making it from home couldn’t be easier. Find more recipes for an UlitimateGrilled Cheese, Chocolate MOO-tini and more at WinnersDrinkMilk.com.
- Rock Salt (also called Ice
- Gallon baggies
- Quart baggies
- 1 cup half & half (or whole milk)
- 2 tbsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Any mix-ins that your heart desires (cocoa powder, strawberries, chocolate chips, sprinkles, etc.)
- Fill gallon size baggie half full of ice.
- Generously pour rock salt over ice.
- Pour half & half, sugar, vanilla extract, and mix-ins in the quart sized baggie. Seal tightly.
- Place quart sized baggie inside gallon sized baggie and ensure both are sealed completely.
- Shake, shake, shake! Shake for approximately 5-7 minutes, or until ice cream becomes firm.
- Scoop ice cream into your favorite dish or cone and enjoy!
- If you have self-control and have any leftover, please place in freezer!